Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Amy and Rogers Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Review from the publisher:

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My Thoughts:

I usually read adult romance books, but have recently taken a detour of my own (pun intended), and have become involved in the YA genre.  

Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour is a debut novel for Morgan Matson. What a debut this is! I fell in love with the story just from the reviews on Amazon. What really pulled me into this book was that throughout the book there are pictures, play lists, menus, receipts, etc from the various states they visit which was an unexpected and nice touch. It really made me feel like I was on the trip with them!  

Part of one of their playlists
There are some deep issues that are brought up in the book (drugs, death, and sexual situations) but nothing too much in detail that it wouldn’t be appropriate for high school students. The secondary characters help bring the story to life as well. They have their own personalities and uniqueness that bring Amy and Roger closer together through out the trip.

I did have one negative thing to say. I felt that Amy started to piece her life back together more openly with the secondary characters then with Roger. I can see how it made sense with the story, but I still felt a little disappointed with some of the conversations that took place and who they took place with.

I recommend this book for teenagers and adults. I think everyone will get something out of this book. For me I learned fun facts about the different states they visited. :-) Pick up this book today and let me know your thoughts!

More reviews to come!
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment